Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
The Solid Line Between Buddy And Manager
01-12-2019, 12:53 AM
Big Grin The Solid Line Between Buddy And Manager
-- Allen B.

A: One reason I am so qualified to disp...

Q: Certainly one of my key personnel is giving trouble to me. He has started arriving late for work and has created a bad attitude in general. The rest of my workers are complaining since they are having to occupy his slack. I've tried talking to him, but he does not appear to hear. To make matters worse, he has become one of my best-friends since I employed him five years before, so firing him is going of the problem. What can I do?

-- Allen T.

A: One reason I am therefore qualified to dispense sage business guidance every week, Allen, is that I have made nearly every business mistake you can imagine. I am like the Evel Knievel of the little world of business, if Evel Knievel wrote a weekly column on bike safety.

Among the more unpleasant things I have had to do is fire a great friend who wasn't working I used him to do. He needed work, I needed a member of staff, so I thought I would give him a shot. I-t proved to be a match made in business hell. H-e took advantage of our friendship by spending time goofing off in place of working, arriving late for work, and making a joke from my claims about his behavior. Due to our friendship I defended his actions to my other workers, but after having a few weeks I knew I had to show him the doorway. We are still friends, but definitely not like we were before.

The error I made was hiring a buddy in the very first place. I let sensation, i.e. the desire to help my friend gain work, be in the way in which of my business sense. That's what you're doing today, Allen, and I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you're planning to have to cope with this situation soon or your whole operation may be affected by the actions of this one person.

The blunder you've made is that you have befriended a member of staff, which is something you should not do. I'm not saying you can not be helpful with your employees, but you've attached a considerable amount of emotional baggage for the relationship and the result could be the situation you're confronted with to-day.

Friends expect preferential treatment given that they are your friends. The workplace, nevertheless, should be a level playing field for the workers, friends or-not. While employees deserve your respect (if it's earned), providing one employee preferential treatment over yet another is never advisable. This is a difficulty experienced by many business people and managers who allow themselves to become too near to their employees.

I am aware that you'd rather eat stones than fireplace him and he has become your friend over the years, but you have to take into account how his behavior is impacting your company over all. What effect is he having on employee morale, on work schedules, on customer relations, on time spent solving his problems, and above all, the important thing?

You've two options: get him right back on course or get him off the payroll, period. That may sound cold and politically incorrect, but those are your only choices. Either way, you must be his employer first and friend second. He may have private reasons for his performance, but as his manager you're officially limited as to how much spying you can do into his home life. To learn more, please consider checking out: homepage. As his friend, nevertheless, I expect that you have recommended what the problem is. If you can help him come back to being an effective member of the team, then do so. If not, want him well, let him go, and proceed.

Listed here are a number of suggestions to help you create and enforce the limits of the relationship.

Establish the connection. Keep your seat, Dr. Phil, this can not take long. Get more about ftp gmail by going to our astonishing wiki. The employer/employee relationship ought to be well-defined from the beginning and the parameters comprehended by all parties. Some call it 'defining the pecking order' or 'building the food chain.' What-ever vibrant expression you put it to use all comes down to this: You can be their manager or you can be their friend. It is possible to perhaps not be both. If you require to discover further about ftp gmail, there are many resources you can pursue.

Don't employ friends or family relations. This rule is unquestionably flexible if you are the master of the company and you hire your children to work with you. Chances are your offspring already take you as the ultimate authority figure and controlling them in a small business environment is second nature. However, even this case might have a negative effect on your organization as non-related employees usually expect the manager' boy, child, or best friend to work less, make more money, and be treated better than everybody else. Whether that is true or perhaps not, cronyism and nepotism can make an underlying stress among the ranks.

Establish and adhere to business policies. It's recommended to own published procedures regarding every part of the business, including worker behavior and performance expectations. By it is quite nature the relationship is prone to favoritism. Executives can not help but like those employees who work harder, longer, and faster, but as it pertains to sticking with company policies, there must be no preferential treatment of favored employees. Every employee must get a copy of your printed company policies and sign a form stating they have read, comprehend, and buy into the same.

Underneath Line: treat everyone else the exact same. It doesn't matter if the worker is just a vice president or even a janitor; everyone within your company must be treated the exact same when it comes to sticking to published company policies and performance objectives. Ftp Gmail contains further about when to mull over it.

While it's true that a vice president might be of more importance to the company than a janitor, it's also true that a vice president who is running amok can do much more damage to your company than a janitor who allows a bathroom backup every once in a-while (there is an analogy there that I will allow you to figure out by yourself).

It is maybe not particular, it's only business. This is what the movie crooks say to each other before the shooting starts. 'Hey, Paulie, it is not individual. It is just business.' BLAM! BLAM! This is actually the relationship exact carbon copy of saying, 'It's perhaps not you, it is me.' Such statements are not planning to make anybody feel better once they are getting left or shot. Just ask any former employee or old girl-friend you've used this point o-n.

When you have to fire a worker - also a friend - take action by the book in a professional manner.

It will perhaps not be easy, but you have to eliminate the emotion and do what's best for the company.

Listed here is for your success..
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply